A dedicated skincare routine for oily skin helps regulate oil levels, unclog pores, and maintain skin balance. Incorporating gentle cleansers, oil-free moisturizers, and targeted treatments ensures a proactive approach to oily skin concerns.
Here we’ll cover a basic skincare routine for oily skin, for morning and evening. Additionally, we’ll recommend some products and optional tips to help manage and maintain this oily skin regimen.
Step 1. Cleansing
- Begin your morning routine with a gentle foaming or gel-based cleanser.
- Massage the cleanser onto damp skin using circular motions, paying extra attention to areas prone to oiliness like the T-zone.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Use a foaming cleanser specifically designed for oily skin. This helps to remove excess oil and impurities without over-drying, and prepares your skin for the next steps.
Recommended foam cleanser for oily skin:
La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel
A standout product in the realm of skincare, particularly designed for those with oily and acne-prone skin. Its gentle yet effective formula cleanses thoroughly without drying, thanks to zinc pidolate for sebum control. The addition of Thermal Spring Water adds a soothing after-touch, making it a reliable daily skin cleansing choice for oily skin.
Recommended gel cleanser for oily skin:
Epionce Lytic Gel Cleanser
With botanical ingredients like willow bark and menthol, Epionce Lytic Gel Cleanser deeply cleanses and exfoliates without over-drying. This lightweight, non-comedogenic formula leaves skin revitalized and balanced, making it an excellent choice for a clear and refreshed complexion. Dermatologist recommended!
Step 2. Toning
- Apply a small amount of oil-free or mattifying toner onto a cotton pad or directly onto your palms.
- Gently pat the toner onto your skin, focusing on the forehead, nose, and chin areas.
- Toners containing ingredients like salicylic acid or witch hazel can help control excess oil and refine pores.
Recommended toner for oily skin:
Mario Badescu’s Special Cucumber Lotion
Formulated with cucumber extract, this toner not only refreshes but actively combats excess oil and impurities. Its targeted approach leaves your skin feeling clean and revitalized, making it an essential step in any oily skin routine. With its effective oil-fighting properties, it’s a go-to solution for maintaining a shine-free complexion.
Recommended mattifying toner for oily skin:
The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Mattifying Toner
This toner, enriched with tea tree oil renowned for its purifying properties, provides a refreshing and mattifying effect. The formula effectively removes residual impurities, tightens pores, and controls excess oil, promoting a clearer complexion. It’s a lightweight and non-sticky toner that leaves the skin feeling invigorated and balanced.
Step 3. Moisturizing
- Opt for a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer.
- Take a small amount and spread it evenly over your face. Focus on areas that may need extra hydration, like the cheeks.
- Ingredients such as hyaluronic acid or glycerin are beneficial for maintaining moisture without adding excess oil.
Recommended moisturizer for oily skin:
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
Packed with hyaluronic acid, it delivers a surge of moisture, leaving skin refreshed and hydrated without clogging pores. The lightweight, non-greasy texture absorbs quickly, providing a smooth and matte finish—perfect for those with oily skin seeking a hydration solution that won’t add shine. Neutrogena Hydro Boost is your go-to for a fresh, hydrated feel without the weight.
Step 4. Sun Protection
- Sunscreen is crucial for protecting your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30.
- Apply it generously to your face, neck, and any exposed skin.
- Reapply throughout the day, especially if you’ll be outdoors.
Recommended sunscreen for oily skin:
Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen
A totally invisible, weightless, scentless formula that provides oil-free sunscreen protection for all skin types, tones, & lifestyles. The clear, lightweight gel effortlessly blends into the skin, offering SPF 40 without any white cast. It’s a perfect primer-like base for makeup, providing reliable protection against UVA and UVB rays. With its oil-free, velvety finish, this sunscreen is a daily essential for effective sun care.
Step 1. Evening Cleanse
- Use the same gentle foaming or gel-based cleanser from your morning routine to thoroughly cleanse your face.
- This step removes makeup, pollutants, and residual oil.
Additional cleansers for oily skin:
CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
This foaming formula effectively removes excess oil, dirt, and impurities without compromising the skin’s natural barrier. Packed with ceramides and hyaluronic acid, it hydrates and renews, offering a gentle, fragrance-free daily cleanse for fresh and balanced skin. CeraVe’s Foaming Facial Cleanser is a great choice for a thorough and nourishing cleanse that leaves the skin feeling fresh and balanced.
boscia Detoxifying Black Charcoal Cleanser
A warming Charcoal cleanser that deeply cleans, detoxifies, unclogs dirty skin and helps minimize the appearance of pores for a brighter, clearer complexion. The warming sensation adds an extra dimension to the experience, leaving your skin feeling invigorated. Free from artificial fragrances and suitable for all skin types, this cleanser is a versatile asset to any oily skin routine.
Step 2. Exfoliation (2-3 times per week)
- Integrate a chemical exfoliant into your routine two to three times a week.
- Look for products containing salicylic acid or glycolic acid to unclog pores, remove dead skin cells, and control oil production.
- Apply the exfoliant evenly, avoiding the eye area, and follow any product-specific instructions.
Recommended exfoliants for oily skin:
Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
This liquid exfoliant, enriched with salicylic acid, effortlessly unclogs pores, removes excess oil, and refines skin texture. Its potent formula is designed to combat blemishes and blackheads, making it an ideal choice for those with oily or acne-prone skin. The lightweight consistency ensures easy absorption, leaving the skin refreshed and balanced. Incorporating this exfoliant into your routine is a game-changer for managing oiliness and promoting a clearer, smoother complexion.
Step 3. Evening Moisturize
- Choose a lightweight, oil-free night moisturizer to maintain hydration without clogging pores.
- Look for formulations containing ingredients like niacinamide or retinol, which can help regulate oil production and promote skin renewal.
- Gently massage the moisturizer into your skin, focusing on areas that may need extra attention.
Recommended evening moisturizers for oily skin:
CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion
A top choice for nightly skincare, especially tailored for oily skin. This lightweight formula, rich in ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide, effectively hydrates and restores the skin barrier. Its oil-controlling properties make it invaluable for those seeking balance in their complexion. Fragrance-free and non-comedogenic, it caters to sensitive and oily skin concerns, making CeraVe PM an indispensable asset for a refreshed and revitalized appearance each morning.
La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer
This lightweight moisturizer not only effectively manages excess oil but also provides essential hydration. With prebiotic thermal water, ceramides, and niacinamide, it supports moisture balance and reinforces the skin barrier. Non-comedogenic and suitable for oily or acne-prone skin, it stands out as a must-have for those aiming to control shine while nourishing their skin effectively.
- If you have specific skin concerns such as acne or breakouts, consider incorporating a targeted treatment into your routine. Products with ingredients like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can address blemishes. Apply the treatment only to affected areas, and avoid overusing to prevent excessive dryness.
- If you use an eye cream, apply it after the moisturizer. Look for a product with ingredients like caffeine or peptides to address concerns such as puffiness or dark circles. Use your ring finger to gently tap the eye cream around the orbital bone.
- Apply a nourishing lip balm to keep your lips hydrated overnight. Look for ingredients like shea butter or hyaluronic acid to prevent dryness.
Treatment Mask (1-2 times a week):
- Consider incorporating a treatment mask into your routine once or twice a week. Opt for masks with ingredients like clay or charcoal to absorb excess oil and impurities. Follow the instructions provided and rinse thoroughly.
- Consistency is Key:
- Stick to your routine consistently for the best results. Allow time for your skin to adjust to new products, especially when introducing exfoliants or treatment masks.
- Hydration from Within:
- Continue to stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the evening. Hydration is essential for overall skin health.
- Gentle Patting:
- When applying products, use a gentle patting motion instead of rubbing, especially around the delicate eye area. This helps to prevent unnecessary tugging on the skin.
- Consult a Professional:
- If you experience persistent skin issues, consult with a dermatologist for personalized advice and recommendations.
Adapt this routine based on your specific skincare needs and preferences.